Sweet and Spicy Carrot Bisque
2 Tbs. canola oil
2 medium yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
2 tsp. plus 1 pinch salt
4 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbs. curry powder
2 pinch cayenne pepper
8 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (4 cups)
2 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
2 13.5-oz. can light coconut milk, divided
5 Tbs. lime juice
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and pinch of salt, and sauté 5
minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in ginger, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
Add curry powder, cayenne, and 1/4 cup water. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to coat
onion and ginger with curry mixture.
2. Add carrots, banana, 1 tsp. salt, and 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until carrots are soft enough to be
pierced with fork.
3. Purée soup in batches in blender or food processor. Return soup to pot, and stir in 1
cup coconut milk and lime juice.
4. Simmer remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk in small saucepan over medium-high heat 10
minutes, or until reduced by half.
5. Ladle soup in bowls, and swirl 11/2 Tbs. coconut milk reduction into each serving